Thread: How to prepare series of Web Update

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to prepare series of Web Update

Hello,

As a SetupBuilder newbie but enthusiastic fan(!), I've successfully prepared a base setup for a 2.0.2 version of my app ("Composer"), and also a Web Update for version 2.0.3. My latest app version is 2.0.5. Users of version 2.0.2, 2.0.3, and 2.0.4 should all be albe to update in one step 2.0.5. I see evidence in this forum that this is possible, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

The compiled 2.0.2-to-2.0.3 Web Update has three files:
    (1) ComposerManifest.ini
    (2) ComposerUpdate.00001
    (3) ComposerUpdate.exe

NOTE: I use the patch feature, because most of my application is in a single EXE.

If I create a second 2.0.3-to-2.0.4 Web Update, it also has three files like the above. I don't understand how these are essentially merged together in the 'update' directory at my server to support both 2.0.3-to-2.0.4 as well as 2.0.2-(to-2.0.3?)-to-2.0.4.

This raises a lot of questions:
    * For each new version (eg, 205), do I need to prepare a new Web Update for each prior version: 202 to 205, 203 to 205, and 204 to 205?
    * When it's time to do this for version 2.0.6, do I make an entire new Web Update sb6 project, or do I modify my most recent Web Update sb6 project?
    * Do I need to have a separate Web Udpate sb6 project for each pairwise version path, such as one sb6 project for 202 to 205 and another for 203 to 206? (I hope and suspect not. If not, then what does the script look like for the different version update paths?)
    * Is there one manifest INI file for all of these pairwise version updates, or does one manifest INI file have distinct sections and/or entries for each pairwise version update?
    * Does the level of SetupBuilder support for a series of Web Update versions depend on whether I'm using SetupBuilder's patch feature?

The overall question is this: Is there some documentation or forum post I'm overlooking that describes how to prepare a series of Web Updates?

Thanks!

-- Mark
    Last edited by markwa; 03-27-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added a question about using patches with Web Update.

Thread Information