+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Register all DLL Files Even if not Replaced

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Register all DLL Files Even if not Replaced

Is there a way to make it so all DLL files potentially installed by my setup are registered, even for those that aren't actually replaced during setup because the existing file's version is equal to or higher than the one contained in my setup? I would like for the "Register all pending file operations" function to also register each DLL file that my setup didn't actually replace due to the fact that the existing version was good enough.

I had a customer who had installed our software, where setup successfully installed a particular DLL file to its proper location, but something happened that prevented that file from being registered. I didn't yet know that was the problem, so I had him reinstall. Since the file already existed on his machine and its version was the same, setup of course did not replace the existing file (I have the option set that way), but also it would not attempt to register the existing file. I talked him through using regsvr32.exe, which fixed the problem, but it would be nice if SetupBuilder were able to re-register everything it attempted to install, just in case any of the DLL files don't happen to be registered already.

Default Re: Register all DLL Files Even if not Replaced

Hello,

What about using the "Register File Operation(Queue existing OCXs/DLLs/EXEs/TLBs file for self-registration)" or "Register File Operation(Register OCXs/DLLs/EXEs/TLBs files immediately)" script functions?

Friedrich

Wouldn't that require adding a new Register File Operation script item for each file in our setup that needs registering? It would be better if we didn't have to do that. There are over 90 DLL and OCX files in our setup, some of which are installed using wildcards in the Source Filename input.

Hello,

No, if the installer did not install a file then it can not auto-register it! That's not possible from the technical point of view -- if a file install action is skipped then all actions related to this file are skipped. The only way to handle your scenario is via the Register File Operation (or regsvr32.exe if you would like to use an external tool).

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

I understand. Yes, that helps. Thanks for the quick replies.

You are welcome

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information