+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overview of Uninstall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Overview of Uninstall

Hurray!! My first big SetupBuilder Install works perfectly.

But although I thought I had ticked all the boxes for simple Uninstall, nothing got added to the Control Panel > Add/Remove
    and I can't see anything like Uninstall.exe in the app directory.

Please can you give me a quick overview of what the automatic Uninstall in SetupBuilder should do. (yes, I've spent an hour reading the PDF Help and Get Started guide, but can't find it :-)

Default Re: Overview of Uninstall

Well, if you don't see your install in Add/Remove then you have removed that functionality from your project (for whatever unknown reason <g>). By default, uninstall is automatically handled for you.

Check the following:

1. General Information -> Product Properties -> "Support Uninstall" is set to YES

2. General Information -> Add/Remove Programs -> "Use Add/Remove Programs" is set to YES

3. In your script, you have not removed the Create Installation App & Log "[UNINSTALL_LOG]" script line (which creates the uninstall .exe/.log)

Hope this helps

Friedrich

Well I knew it would be me doing something :-) I removed the create installation App.

>>> which creates the uninstall .exe/.log
    This is what I am asking about.
    Where does it create these? (ie. in which folder).
    Do I need to do anything with these? (eg create shortcut?)
    If Add/Remove Programs is set YES, is the uninstall automatically linked?

Thanks.
    Chris

Chris,

When you create a new project, all the uninstall settings are automatically created for you. You do not do anything with the default settings -- you can modify the original settings, but it's not recommended. SetupBuilder handles it for you behind-the-scenes. Microsoft recommends not to add an uninstall shortcut (especially not in the new Win8 environment).

See attached screenshots.

BTW, the uninstall .exe is not linked in. It's dynamically created at runtime.

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks. On checking I find I had left everything in place, including the Create Installation App.
    But I had not set the Uninstall Name and Uninstall Log to point to the _SB_INSTALLDIR.
    Trying that now.

I now have the Uninstall.exe and .log --- Progress :-)

But the app still does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    Is there anything else I must set for this to work? eg. I have not set the Product GUID.

You do not have any Product GUID? Why did you remove that? And why did you "modify" (remove, etc.) all the default settings?

Friedrich

I didn't touch it. Honest :-)
    The boxes were mostly all blank, including the Product GUID

Well, SetupBuilder did not remove that for you When you create a new project, the IDE defines (and fills in) all default settings.

Friedrich

Now it all works.
    And compared to my previous installer, SetUpBuilder is much faster and smoother :-)

Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information