+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 64/32 Program Files

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 64/32 Program Files

Hi,

I need to add files to a subfolder of Program Files but if it's a 64bit system then files to both Program Files/MySubfolder and Program Files (x86)/MySubfolder.
    Do I need to expressly specify this or does adding 'MySubFolder' to Program Files in SB7 files and folders automatically add to both if they exist on the target system?

John

Default Re: 64/32 Program Files

John,

By default, the installer runs in 32-bit mode on 64-bit systems and if you install a 32-bit application, your files go into "Program Files (x86)\MySubfolder". If your application is native 64-bit, then you have to run the installer in 64-bit mode to install your 64-bit files to "Program Files\MySubfolder".

IMPORTANT: Only native 64-bit applications go into "Program Files" on x64 systems!!!! You never install 32-bit application into this folder.

See attached screenshot.

Does this help?

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks again for the speedy reply.

In this particular case it's not 'an application' as such

I need to add files to a specific Photoshop subfolder but on 64bit systems there's likely 2 versions of Photoshop installed - the 32 and 64bit versions. My files are the same regardless of 32bit or 64bit - basically I need to copy the same files to 2 locations on 64bit systems but only one location on 32 bit.

John

John,

Aha, okay. Absolutely no problem at all. You can switch between 32-bit and 64-bit processing in SetupBuilder back and forth.

I have developed a demo project for you. It installs a "test" file to the 32-bit "Program Files (x86)\MySubfolder" and then to the 64-bit "Program Files" (on x64 systems only). All from the same installer.

http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/3264ProgramFiles.zip

Does this help?

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks again for your help, it's most appreciated. This should definitely speed things up for me.

John

You are very welcome, John!

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information