+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation Path

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Installation Path

Currently our application is uninstalled and reinstalled every time a new version is sent out. This is done by checking to see if a previous version is installed.

Is there a way to determine where the user installed the application?

Currently I am using the SetupBuilder variable %_SB_INSTALLDIR% to determine where the applications uninstall is.

This only works if the user didn't change the install directory.

In our case the default install path is going to change because our companies name is changing.

If the previous install directory is C:\Program Files\Company Name\Product and it will be changed to C:\Program Files\Company\Product. %_SB_INSTALLDIR% for the uninstall does not work because the path is incorrect.

Default Re: Installation Path

Hello,

Yes, no problem. You have several different options. I would suggest to use the "Detect Previous Version..." script function.

The "Detect Previous Version" function lets you detect the path of a previously distributed version of your product. This function even lets you retrieve the full uninstall string (if available) and the installed version number (if available).

Does this help?

Friedrich

Yes. That is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

On a side not how do I change the Author? I have removed the Technologies from the end of the company name but the MSI Summary Information Stream still has Technologies at the end of the Author.

Hello,

"MSI Summary Information Stream" is not used in .EXE projects.

Friedrich

The uninstall runs right after they have answered all of the dialog boxes.

I don't use %_SB_INSTALLDIR% because I am wanting to install the application in a totally different directory. That is why I use %PREVIOUSVERSION% as my uninstall directory. I changed the name of the variable to something that made more sense %PREV_INSTALLDIR%. I don't have a variable called %_SB_TMP%.

I have attached an image that shows the steps I take to uninstall the application.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I also tried using the Run Command Line. Same issue. Everything is left behind except for the uninstaller exe. I have verified the path is correct however I am not sure why nothing is getting uninstalled. Here is how I have the Run Command Line setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello,

Do you have a custom uninstall? What happens when you run the uninstall.exe from the Windows Command Line?

The uninstall removes all items that are in your uninstall .log. So you 1) have a bug in your custom uninstall code (if you have a custom uninstall) -or- 2) you launch the wrong uninstall .log from your uninstall.exe. It's 1) or 2) <g>.

Friedrich

BTW, and it's also possible that you have BACKUP files in place (perhaps from a test install)? In this case, the uninstall removes the original files and restores the backup files.

Backup log file items look like this:

|019|C:\yada\BACKUP\yada.0001

And make sure that your install writes the install file(s) action to the uninstall.log. You can open the uninstall .log with an ASCII text editor to check this.

Friedrich

We do not have a custom uninstall. The issue was with the log file. The wrong one was being used. Thanks.

The uninstall now removes everything in the folders but is not removing the application folder in Program Files. When I uninstall from the All Programs Menu that removes the application folder. When I run the command from a command line prompt the application folder is not removed.

Is there any additional command line switches that I should be using?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information