+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Files not uninstalled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Files not uninstalled

Using SB8 I have very simple Install that creates a folder, installs two files into it (an EXE and a ICO -- neither needs registering). And adds a desktop shortcut.

At the start of the install script I have CREATE UNINSTALL, and at the end I CLOSE UNINSTALL.

The install works perfectly, the program runs fine from the shortcut.

But when I run the UNINSTALL it removes the desktop shortcut but does not remove the EXE and ICO files, and does not remove the folder I created.
    (Yes, I ticked the REMOVE ON UNINSTALL box :-)

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Files not uninstalled

Hi Chris,

If you are interested, please send your .sb8 project file (and if you are using a custom uninstall, the uninstall.sbi) to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com and we can tell you what you are doing wrong.

BTW, why do you have to "manipulate" the standard uninstall handling? By default, SetupBuilder creates the uninstall logic for you. I think this causes your problem because you instruct the installer to not log the two files

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I thought I was doing exactly that (just using default uninstall). I added the CLOSE INSTALLATION LOG at the end in case that was the problem but it made no difference, so I have removed it again.

Here's my Install script. (I removed blank lines etc)

[ Initialize Setup ]
    ! --- Define commonly used constants ---
    #include script "Common Definitions.sbi"
    Define Wizard Dialog "WELCOME" (Welcome)
    Loop Wizard (Abort Dialog Active)
    End
    Set Variable %_SB_INSTALLDIR% to "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL"
    Set Variable %_SB_BACKUPDIR% to "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\SB8_BACKUP"

[ User Interface ]

! Create installation .log
    Create Installation App & Log "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\Uninst_ABCTempUtil.log" [Overwrite Existing Uninstall Application]

[ Create Folders ]

[ Install Files ]
    Install File "C:\ABC6\work\Mike Format Tenants\FormatSiteNbrs.exe" to "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\FormatSiteNbrs.exe" [Feat:Always Install] [SelfReg]
    Install File "C:\ABC6\work\Mike Format Tenants\FormatSiteUtil.ico" to "%_SB_INSTALLDIR%\FormatSiteUtil.ico" [Feat:Always Install]

[ Create Shortcuts ]
    ::Create Shortcut "Remove ABC Temp Util" in "Desktop\Remove ABC Temp Util" (Always Install)
    ::Create Shortcut "ABC Util" in "Desktop\ABC Util" (Always Install)

[ Finalize Setup ]

[ Final User Interface ]
    ! Final wizard dialog definition(s)
    Define Wizard Dialog "#1" (Finish) ()

! The Wizard Loop displays the dialog screens that the user sees in the installation
    Loop Wizard (Abort Dialog Active)
    End

Chris,

Please send the .sb8 project and the generated uninstall .log and we can try to tell you what you are doing wrong . If the file is in the uninstall .log then the uninstall will definitely uninstall it. If it replaced previous version then it will rollback the file(s).

BTW, why are you using "SelfReg" on your "FormatSiteNbrs.exe"? Is this a self-registration file? And is it really your intention to always install to "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL" and not give the user an installation directoty choice?

Friedrich

Have emailed you the .SB8 and the uninstall log as requested.

Registering the .EXE was an oversight -- I guess it is a default I didn't spot. I've tried the uninstall without that setting and it still does not work.

This is the install for a temporary quick program for a client. They will use it once for 30 seconds, and then uninstall it. Hence they don't get a choice of where to install it :-)

Regards
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending the .sb8 and the .log file.

It's what I assumed. In fact, the files are uninstalled Look at the following uninstall.log file entries:

Code:
    |004|C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP
    |019|C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP\FormatSiteNbrs.0001
    |006|_0000_|C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\FormatSiteNbrs.exe|1|2013/09/07|14:23:40|1.0.0.0|28672|7DC732F2||0|
    |019|C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP\FormatSiteUtil.0001
    |006|_0000_|C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\FormatSiteUtil.ico|2|2006/05/27|03:54:20||3774|6A93BD89||0|
    |005|_0000_|C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Remove ABC Temp Util.lnk
    |005|_0000_|C:\Users\Public\Desktop\ABC Util.lnk
    The installer creates your backup folder "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP". After that, it detects that the files "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\FormatSiteNbrs.exe" already exist and creates a backup copy "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP\FormatSiteNbrs.0 001" and "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL\SB8_BACKUP\FormatSiteUtil.0 001" in the backup folder. The same happens with "FormatSiteUtil.ico".

So when you uninstall, it will remove both files "FormatSiteNbrs.exe" and "FormatSiteUtil.ico". But it restores the original ones from the backup folder (because you have "Backup Replaced Files" enabled). A typical rollback scenario ;-)

Does this help?

Friedrich

Well I see what you mean..... And yes there is a Backup Folder with those files in.....

But. I start with no temp folder and no files installed. (ie. the files do not exist on the target machine).

So why does the installer create a backup folder and put those .0001 files in it??

(My guess is that sometime in the past I DID install with the files already on the target machine and there's a record of this in the Registry?? Or something like that?)

Chris,

No, there is nothing in the Registry. The files in the "C:\ABC6\TEMP_UTIL" folder already exist when you run the setup. Otherwise, the installer would not create the backup files. The uninstall should always bring the system to the previous state. That's why it "rollbacks" the files from the backup folder.

You can go to "General Information" -> "Advanced Settings" -> and disable "Backup Replaced Files". As a result, the installer will not make a backup and the uninstall will remove the files (and not restore them).

Does this help?

Friedrich

BTW, see attached screenshots. We have created a "dummy" test install with your project and it works as expected (this is a Windows 8.1 x64 machine).

What I have noticed is that you have removed the "Product GUID" and the "Upgrade GUID" (and "Product Version" is set to 1). You need a Product GUID in Windows to register your uninstall. So please put this information back (similar to the attached information in the "Product Properties").

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Still doesn't work :-(

I have added back the "Product GUID" and the "Upgrade GUID" (and "Product Version" is set to 1). Now when I install it, it does create an entry in the Control Panel UNINSTALL PROGRAMS list. (it didn't without the GUID).

I've tried uninstalling via control panel, and also by calling the uninstall.exe directly. In both cases the result is the same as before. The installed programs and folder are not removed. I'm using Windows 8.0

It works on your computer but not on mine.
    This is not an important issue (I can always get the client to manually delete the folder as this is a one-off temporary install). But I'd like to find out what I'm doing wrong so I get future install/uninstall projects correct.

Any more things I can try :-)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information