+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Register immediately or later?

Default Register immediately or later?

When installing DLLs I can tell SB8 to register immediately, or wait to the end of the script and tell SB8 to Register All pending files.

1. Is there an advantage in Reg Immediately?
    (eg. if a file depends on another, might they need to be reg in a certain order?)

2. Does it matter if I do both? (reg Immediate for some, and then All Pending)

3. Does Reg All Pending register files in the same order they are installed?

Default Re: Register immediately or later?

Chris,

Quick question: is there a reason for you to not use the standard method? That is the "Register as OCX/DLL/EXE/TLB" advanced File Properties option and the default "Register all pending file operations" method.

Friedrich

Not sure. (that's why I asked the question :-)

I've read that a DLL that depends on another file will not register unless the other file has already been registered. Hence I am asking about the order in which things will be registered. And whether it is "better", "safer", or "anything" to register each item as it is installed.

But otherwise. No, I have no reason not use the standard method (which is what I do at present).

Chris,

I would recommend to use the automatic standard method (mark the "Register as OCX/DLL/EXE/TLB" checkbox option in the Advanced File Properties) and the default "Register all pending file operations". This will install all files and at the end of the install, register all DLLs, etc.

Friedrich

Still just asking about the order in which files will be registered by the "Register all pending...". Will it be done in the order in which the files are installed?

Yes, that is correct. The file install action adds the self-registration action to the registration "queue". At the end of the install, the "Register all pending file operations" loops through the list of files and registers them.

Friedrich

Thank you. That's fine.

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information