+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detect if PC has BitLocker enabled?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LiquidIce Guest

Default Detect if PC has BitLocker enabled?

Hey guys,
    I would like to know if there's a way to configure SetupBuilder to detect if the user has BitLocker enabled in his computer.

Thank you.

Default Re: Detect if PC has BitLocker enabled?

Hello,

The key question to ask yourself is: how would you check this without SetupBuilder? You can then convert this method to SetupBuilder, absolutely no problem.

For example, if the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitLocker" registry item can be used ("BitLockerEnabled" value name set to True) to detect an enabled BitLocker environment then you can use the "Get Registry Key Value..." script function in SetupBuilder to retrieve the status of BitLocker.

But you have to check with Microsoft if this is a valid method (on all supported Windows operating systems).

Does this help?

Friedrich

LiquidIce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    Hello,

The key question to ask yourself is: how would you check this without SetupBuilder? You can then convert this method to SetupBuilder, absolutely no problem.

For example, if the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitLocker" registry item can be used ("BitLockerEnabled" value name set to True) to detect an enabled BitLocker environment then you can use the "Get Registry Key Value..." script function in SetupBuilder to retrieve the status of BitLocker.

But you have to check with Microsoft if this is a valid method (on all supported Windows operating systems).

Does this help?

Friedrich
    Hello Friedrich,

I looked over the windows registries and wasn't able to find any bitlocker registries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\BitLocker, but what I did find was a value in: HKLM\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channe ls\Microsoft-Windows-BitLocker/BitLocker-Operational and in there was a registry called Enabled and was set to 0. The problem i'm having now is activate BitLocker because I'm running it on a Parallels VM and the BIOS doesn't have a TPM module, so I can't activate BitLocker.

But yes, it helps, thanks alot.

Same here. We tried to enable BitLocker (never used it before) to test it but can't enable it in VMWare Workstation. VMWare KB 2036142 says that "Microsoft does not support the use of BitLocker within a virtual machine bootable drive."

There is a HowTo "Using Bitlocker without TPM support in a Virtual Machine" but it does not work here.

http://blog.jbrown.ca/2010/11/using-...upport-in.html

Friedrich

Hello Friedrich,

I figured out how to get BitLocker on a virtual machine. On a different note, is there a way for SetupBuilder to activate the encryption on a drive?

Regards,

Alejandro

Alejandro,

How would you do it programmatically without SetupBuilder. I can then help you switch this method over to your setup.

Friedrich

Hello Friedrich,

If you look at this post: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...mand-line.html
    You can see how BitLocker can be activated via CMD. I'm guessing that I can do it via a "Run command" on the installer, but I want to make sure with you that it could work.

Regards,

Alejandro

Alejandro,

Yes, if it can be activated via CMD then you can use the "Run Command Line..." or "Run Program..." script functions.

Friedrich

Hello Friedrich,

I figured out how to do it with the CMD, but it requires Administrator permissions, does the installer run things as administrators?

Regards,

Alejandro

Alejandro,

Yes, by default, the installer runs "elevated". General Information -> Generator Settings -> "UAC Execution Level" set to requireAdministrator.

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information