+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Locked Services not replaced during patch

Default Locked Services not replaced during patch

First, this may not be a Setup Builder issue, but all the smartest people I know are in this forum, so I am begging Friedrich's forbearance.

During a patch, we have a couple of services that are being locked by:
    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted

This seems to happen only on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. When the services are stopped, they get locked here, causing the server to require reboot when the patch is finished. Has anyone else run into this, or know a way to make svchost release these files?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    --Glenn.

Default Re: Locked Services not replaced during patch

Glenn,

Are you sure the service really "stopped"? Perhaps it needs some more time to terminate? Are you doing the check for active service / stop service in a LOOP to make sure that it "stopped"?

Friedrich

They are stopped. I actually used Service Manager to stop them by hand. I have done more research, and discovered the following:

1. This only happens on Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition and WinDev services (Clarion services seem to work fine).
    2. On this edition, the WinDev services are controlled by "svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted" rather than services.exe. It is worth noting that services written in Clarion are managed by services.exe.
    3. Upon stopping the service (windows service manager), the service EXE is still "held" by the same instance of svchost.exe. It never lets it go.

I have yet to figure out what is causing this. The service "reports" as being stopped, but you cannot access the EXE file. Cannot delete it, replace it, rename it, etc.
    You can start and stop the service all you want, but the only way I have found to get "svchost.exe" to release it, is to mark it as "Manual start" and reboot the server.

Hi Glenn,

Very interesting. I have never ever seen something like this before. It makes me really sad that I can't be of any help to you

Please keep us posted.

Friedrich

um... did the world just end? I thought you knew EVERYTHING Friedrich!!!! This is like discovering Santa Clause isn't real... I don't know what to do!

Ok, I will keep researching...

Have a great weekend.

--Glenn.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information