+ Reply to Thread

Thread: questions about self-registration and repacking an application

Question questions about self-registration and repacking an application

Hello:

I have grabbed the files I need (for repackaging) and I'm unsure which files are needing to be self-registered, is there a way to en masse enable self registration when supported by the file?

Note: I did enable "automatically enable self-registration" in setup builder preferences. , however this setting was made after this project was created and started. the original program was created with Clarion 5.5h; is there any additional settings that need to be set to make sure my repackaged setup works as expected?

Default Re: questions about self-registration and repacking an application

Hello,

the vendor of the application or component has to document which files need to be self-registered. And not all files that support self-registration are self-registered by the setup. Sometimes the application itself handles it. So you have to know upfront what files need to be self-registered. It's not a good idea to let the setup call into all kind of 32- and 64-bit EXEs and DLLs to try to start the self-registration process. And for 64-bit self-reg components, you have to switch into 64-bit mode to execute the self-registration process.

Does this help?

Friedrich

the original application is no longer supported and the vendor I'm sure the vendor is not going to be too happy with me poking into these kinds of things about their IP. The only reason I'm repacking this is because I've put a few improvements to it from a vendor who was not the original developer. getting the information is kind of "sticky" for lack of a better term.

Yes, I understand.

What you can do for a 32-bit DLL is to add the file to the project, open the file properties, go to the Advanced tab and click the button beside the "Register as OCX/DLL/EXE/TLB" checkbox. This can check if the DLL supports self-registration.

Friedrich

Thanks. I'll try that when I revisit that project in a couple days

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information