+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem win wupdate.exe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Problem win wupdate.exe

I have 2 separate programs that I have created install scripts and updates for. Program 1 runs "wucheck.exe /C /S" and waits for a return value. If the return value is 1 then wupdate.exe runs. The user clicks next twice and everything downloads and installs fine.

The setup scripts for Program 2 are nearly identical. Program 2 runs "wucheck.exe /C /S" and waits for a return value. If the return value is 1 then wupdate.exe runs. The user clicks next twice and then instead of downloading the update the top progress bar completes very quickly then the setup ends which restarts Program 2. At this point I'm stuck in an update loop. However, if instead of running wupdate.exe I run "wucheck.exe /S" the update downloads and installs correctly (of course without the user having to make any clicks).

I might actually stick with "wucheck.exe /S", but I'm curious why wupdate isn't working for Program 2.

Default Re: Problem win wupdate.exe

Hello,

why do you run wucheck.exe and (if it returns value 1) the wupdate.exe client? Why don't you use wucheck.exe for both check for the update and download the update? Do you need the GUI?

BTW, wupdate.exe would never restart Program 2. The logic in both wucheck.exe and wupdate.exe is identical (the main difference is that wupdate.exe runs elevated and has a GUI). On download failure it would return an error. I think it downloaded the update from the server and then this update did not work as expected. So something in your Program 2 update process is not correct (in your own app that calls wucheck.exe/wupdate.exe or the update script). I can't tell you what you are doing wrong (there is not enough information available).

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information