+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Compiling a script file with /C crashes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Compiling a script file with /C crashes

The newest version of SB10 wants to change the scriptfiles when compiling them with /C. Why is this required?

What happens is that when the compiler starts it gives this information:
    Name:  2016-12-21 11_28_22-SetupBuilder Development Environment.png
Views: 252
Size:  12.8 KB

If I click Yes I get another dialog:
    Name:  2016-12-21 11_36_36-SetupBuilder Development Environment.png
Views: 322
Size:  7.4 KB

After clicking Yes again the compiler opens the progress dialog, but crashes right after.
    Name:  2016-12-21 11_37_52-Running - NovaxDistribution - [Administrator] - DataFlex 2016 Studio 18.2.png
Views: 320
Size:  17.3 KB

Default Re: Compiling a script file with /C crashes

Hi Allan,

The new version needs additional properties for Windows Server 2016. Last project format update was in late 2009. The conversion process adds the new properties to the project. But of course, it should not crash the silent mode compiler (I have opened a ticket). Please open the script(s) manually and then let the IDE update the project file(s). After that /C works fine again.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Friedrich

BTW, nothing changed in the /C compiler method so the same would have happened in good old 2009 (when doing a silent compile and a project conversion is required).

While I have your ear, it seems to me you are doing quite a few command line compilations: would you prefer a new command line switch to let SB automatically update the project in this case (of course, without displaying a message box)? Or do you prefer an auto project-update if the command line /C compiler is used?

Thank you for your time.

Friedrich

If it is needed for the compiler to change/update the script file in order to compile I would recommend that it just do change it without warnings. It is okay that you get a warning when compiling manually i.e. from the studio. We have the script files in source control and I would like to know why the script has changes so that I can write that in the commit log.
    Also by changing the script file automatically I do not interrupt my coworkers that are using the command-line-only version of the compiler that a script has changed.

Thank for looking into this so quickly! That's one of the reasons that I use SetupBuilder.

We'll change this behavior in the next build. If you need a quick "fix", let me know and we'll compile a special version for you.

Thanks again for your help!

Friedrich

Yep. This works

Cool, thanks !!!

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information