+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INI value wildcard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question INI value wildcard

I utilize an INI file with my installation which (after the installation is successful and the program runs) contains a Boolean value that is named based upon my program's internal version info. IOW, if my compiled program (I'm not referring to the SetupBuilder install EXE) contains an internal version string of 1.0.0.0, that value is then written by my program to the INI file. Example:

[Settings]
    Beta_1.0.0.0=1

(This value does not exist in a virgin, first-time-ever install.)

In subsequent installations, I'd like my SetupBuilder install to read the existing INI file and preserve this information in the new INI file that is created by SB. The problem here is that this value is not static and therefore I cannot instruct SB to retrieve an INI value since I don't know whether the INI contains this...

[Settings]
    Beta_1.0.0.0=1

...or whether it contains...

[Settings]
    Beta_1.0.0.0=1
    Beta_1.0.0.1=1

...or whether it contains...

[Settings]
    Beta_1.0.0.0=1
    Beta_1.0.0.1=1
    Beta_1.0.2.9=1

I'd like to have all of the Beta_#.#.#.# values preserved in the INI file after each installation. How would I accomplish this? Would it be best to create an INI section that is used solely for these Beta_* values? E.g.

[Settings]
    Left=100
    Right=200
    Username=John

[Beta values]
    Beta_1.0.0.0=1
    Beta_1.0.0.1=1
    Beta_1.0.2.9=1

[MoreSettings]
    Blahblah=0

Default Re: INI value wildcard

Hello,

I have to give this some thoughts and get back to you...

Friedrich

Another issue to consider...

When the user is in the Script Editor window and then changes the line height value to "1" via "Tools > Options > Editor", then clicks OK, then goes back and change it to "21" and clicks OK, the vertical scroll bar is missing *until* you take your mouse and click inside the Editor window.

I am having a problem with a web deployment built by SetupBuilder Developer Edition 2017 Version: 10.0.5452

When I click the COMPILE button, the compilation succeeds without any errors. There are no error messages with respect to the FTP process. When I then run the resulting .exe, there are no errors UNTIL about 15% into the download of the 201 sub-units on the web server. No matter how many times I try, the installation hits a brick wall at the same point. See attachment... Name:  2017-07-17_13-04-33.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  40.6 KB

Again, there are no error messages during the compilation. I've rebuilt the .exe multiple times, and yet the installation error always occurs at the same point.

Hello,

that simply means the file (default.css) on the server is not the file that has been added to the script when you compiled the installation. This has nothing to do with the SetupBuilder version you are using. The installer does a CRC32 check and the file downloaded (from your server) is not identical to the file on your development machine at the time when you compiled the setup. This feature is there to protect your customers. This is not a compile issue... the only problem is that the files downloaded are outdated.

BTW, if there is a proxy involved, it's very well possible that you got an old file from the cache. Make sure that you are using the "no-cache" web installer option. Mark this checkbox to use the "Pragma: no-cache" HTTP header to disable caching for a particular page.

Hope this helps a bit.

It's similar to this:
    http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/sho...ache#post39438

BTW, the office is closed for vacation until August 30, 2017 and we do not check the web forums on a daily basis.

Friedrich

By the way, I'll check back later today or tomorrow morning to see if this solves your problem. The good news is that it's not a bug in the software so we do not have to wait for a new build.

Friedrich

The "Pragma: no-cache" HTTP checkbox is set to True when I reported the above/original issue.

The only way I was able to resolve the problem was to add new files to the install package and then recompile. SB is doing the transfer to the FTP server, BTW. I am not manually copying the deployment files.

Hello,

so the problem is resolved now?

Thanks,
    Friedrich

No, the problem has not been resolved. You can see the problem retraced in this video:

https://vimeo.com/227299161/2daa64edec

Thanks for the video!

I'll be back in the office on next Monday and would like to analyze the problem. Would it be possible for you to send me your .sbp project file and the created .exe file?

Here is how it works. At compile time, the CRC32 of all files to be downloaded is created and stored in the web installer .exe. At runtime, the installer downloads the file and checks the CRC32 before it copies it to the final location. We do not get a download or unpacking error, so there is no transmission error. But the CRC32 of the downloaded file is NOT the expected CRC32 value stored in the .exe. We have to find out why this is the case.

I do not have the tools here with me to analyze the problem :-( I am sorry for the delay in resolving this issue. It's my #1 priority for next Monday.

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information