+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Uninstall.log

Default Hiding Uninstall.log

Greetings! After a long time, I'm back with a couple of questions again. Like always, I will be very much thankful for your assistance.

My first question: Is it possible to hide or disable the log file in the installation folder where uninstall.exe is also stored? I just don't really want to let my users read this log file. That would be really cool, if it's somehow possible to hide it in uninstall.exe file.

Second question: Please just right click on your created setup file, and choose "Properties", and then "Details" section, and you'll see "Language: English (United States)". Is it possible to change this attribute to another language maybe? I translated my entire setup interface into another language, so I would really like to change this little detail too.

Thank you in advance

Default Re: Hiding Uninstall.log

Hello,

it is impossible to "hide" the uninstall.log in the uninstall.exe. The uninstall.exe is compiled and code-signed at "compile-time". The uninstall.log is created at installer "run-time". It's not possible to embed the uninstall.log to the uninstall.exe. And when you do an update, the same uninstall.log is used to append all the changes. This can only be done if the uninstall.log is accessible.

To change the "Language", just use #pragma (see attached screenshots).

Does this help?

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I understand about the case with uninstaller.log file. Is it maybe possible to create this log in another folder different than uninstaller.exe?

Your language solution works just perfect! Once again thank you very much, Friedrich.

Hi again, I'm actually still wondering, if it's possible to create the Uninstall.log file in another folder different than the one Uninstaller.exe in? Maybe with a custom uninstaller script etc? I understand it is run-time created file, but still wondering which options are available for preventing users to read the content.

Secondarily, I just realized that the infos in "File Properties" -> "Details" don't show up in older Windows' such as W98. "Details" section (Which is called "Version" in W98) of my setup file seem completely blank in W98. But I tested the SetupBuilder installer executable itself in W98, and I viewed the version infos without an issue. I think I must simply unclick some features in my own setup. Could you please let me about the related option?

Thank you in advance

Hello,

sorry, forgot to answer the uninstaller question. I have opened a ticket for it. In theory, it should be possible to create the .log and .exe in another folder, but in practice it is not. We are looking into this.

Could you please send me a screenshot for your 2nd request. I don't know exactly what you mean.

Friedrich

Hi, for example in WinXP/Win7/Win10 when I click on Properties > Details on my setup.exe, I can see every details I wrote properly. But when I click on Properties > Version (In Win98), I see this:

Name:  screenshot.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  31.9 KB

Hello,

this is not related to SetupBuilder. The function to display (read) the version resource from a PE file is a native Windows feature. The version resource in a PE file is exactly the same in all Windows operating systems!

See attached screenshots from a Win95 and Win98 machine. It displays the version resource from a SetupBuilder application (in this case the setup for the latest SetupBuilder build).

Friedrich

As I said, I can also view the file details of SetupBuilder application in Windows98. I can view the details of other files as well, which means there is nothing wrong with my OS. Problem is, I can't view the details of the Setup.exe that I've created. And my questions is, is it maybe because of an option I choose in SB? An option indirectly prevents the details to be seen in Win98?

Hello,

no, it's not an "option" in SB because the version resource is the same for all Windows operating systems. When you check file properties on Windows then the installer itself is not running. Perhaps it is a (very) large setup.exe and so Windows 98 can't read the version resource (similar to a code-signature for large setup.exe files)? What do you see on that specific machine when you check the file properties from the SetupBuilder 10 installer (sb100_5452_dev.exe)? Or when you create a small "dummy" installer with SetupBuilder. Still no version resource "visible" on this machine?

Friedrich

Just for fun, I have compiled a simple setup.exe with version resource items (using the latest SB10).

The version resource displays without any problem on Win98.

Friedrich
    Last edited by linder; 11-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information