+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Uninstall.log

Default Re: Hiding Uninstall.log

Hi, I found the problem. When I remove the line with VERSIONINFO_LANGID, problem solved.

But now the current problem is, how to change the Language line in the file description, and keep all those information visible in Win98...

Hello,

I am afraid, you need Windows NT4 and later to support this -- Windows 95 and 98 do not support the extended VERSIONINFO_LANGID. With NT4 or Windows 2000 it works as expected.

Friedrich

That's so bad.. So this current situation leads the topic back to the very beginning...

* Is there another way to change the language globally, for older Windows' too?

I really want to change the language, since my program is especially designed for early Windows versions. And it's really not acceptable to allow it to stay as English (USA) in version infos...

But if there is "definitely" no option to do that in any case, then could you please inform me, if it's possible to make VERSIONINFO_LANGID script optional, and bypass it if the operating OS is WinNT4 or older?

I'll have to do some research on this. I'll get back to you...

But it's definitely not possible to "bypass" the "VERSIONINFO_LANGID" thing. Why? Because it's not really a script item. This line is executed at COMPILE time when you generate your setup.exe to manipulate (in your case, you embed a specific language ID) the version resource. The script line is not executed at RUNTIME.

It would be similar to displaying "5.0.0.0" as version number in the properties dialog on Windows 98 and, say, "10.0.0.0" on Windows 7 and later from the same setup.exe. It's not possible. The binary contents of the executable is static and can't be changed. Windows reads the information from the version resource section and displays it.

Friedrich

I understand, your explanation is quite logical. Thank you for your effort Friedrich, I hope there is something we can do about it. I will wait for your 'hopefully' positive answer.

I'll get back to you within the next 48 hours. I'll have to read some old Windows 95/98 development guidelines...

Friedrich

I am not 100% sure, but I think I found a solution. I have to make some compiler modifications and do more regression tests. I'll report back within the next 24 hours.

Friedrich

Thank you very much!

Still working on it... not a trivial change.

Friedrich

Thanks for letting me know. I'm waiting for good news with patience. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information