+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web Update Deletes Shortcuts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Web Update Deletes Shortcuts

Using SB 10.0.5710 on Windows 7/10

I have been creating web update doing this for many for many years but I am fighting an issue with some customers. I build a web update project, add the files that need to change build it anbd upload.

When my program sees the new build it downloads and installs fine (everything works here). But I have had some customers install the update and the main program shot cuts go away, Windows Programs menu and desktop. I do not send the entire Program Files shortcut structure for the program with the updates, but now it appears I do to avoid this issue.

So first, what am I not setting in the install package to prevent this or am I running into virus program issues.

Thanks much in advance.

Bob

Default Re: Web Update Deletes Shortcuts

Hi Bob,

shortcuts are simply files with ".lnk" extensions. Perhaps you execute an uninstall action from your web update project?

If you are interested, send your web update project file (.sbp) to support [at] lindersoft [dot] com and we can check for you if you have any uninstall action in your script.

Friedrich

Email has been sent.

Thanks Friedrich.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have checked your update script and it does not execute any action or function to remove a Shortcut file. So your web update executable does definitely not remove the "Tournament Keeper v8" Shortcut file.

BTW, I noticed that your "Digital Signature" is set to "No". So it's very well possible that an "external" program (e.g. anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc. tool) removes the Shortcut file for you.

Just for fun, you can add some code to your update project to check if the Shortcut is still there after running the web update. Similar to the code from the attached screenshot.

Hope this helps a bit.

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information