+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: File cannot be found yet it can be found

Default Re: File cannot be found yet it can be found

You can see a video of my system configuration in this video:

(URL removed)

I removed my original (system configuration) question because we have fixed the issues you reported in ticket [SB#8-08291] with SetupBuilder 2018 Version 10 Build (beta) 5995 (September 07, 2018).

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/sho...9974#post89974

Friedrich

I just installed the latest 10.0.6124.0 version. I then recompiled my install package. I then ran the web deployment package. The result is that nothing has changed. The minuscule font issue that I showed you in screen snapshots and video still remains.

In fact, there is no "font issue" in SetupBuilder. The problem is specific to "your" machine.

Yeah, of course <g>. But here is why. The installer has to support all kinds of Windows versions, from Windows 95 up to Windows Server 2019. Windows is available in localized editions for many languages.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ms-shell-dlg-2

So the installer has to use the "MS Shell Dlg" font, which is not really a font but are aliased in the registry. You can set the font to something different by tweaking the registry. You can reset it to MS San Serif, or something like that.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes\MS Shell Dlg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes\MS Shell Dlg 2

So in your case, (I think) you have set it to a very small font?! What you see is completely machine specific and is not an installer issue at all! SetupBuilder uses the "MS Shell Dlg" alias.

If you want, you can set the installer to a "fixed" font (e.g. "Microsoft Sans Serif"). This will solve your "MS Shell Dlg" redirection issue on your machine. But please note, the "MS Shell Dlg" alias is displayed correctly on 99.9% of all machines ;-)

Does this make sense?

Friedrich

BTW, for example, set it to the font that you have used in this installer (see attached screenshot). But from the technical point-of-view, it would be better to "fix" the font redirection on your machine so your compiled installer can make use of the correct font on your customer's machines.

Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here are registry examples from our machines (Win10 and Server 2019). Just curious: what do you have in your registry?

Friedrich

So in your case, (I think) you have set it to a very small font?! What you see is completely machine specific
    ]

No. What you are seeing is the default setting for Windows Server 2016. I never changed the font in the Registry for the machine in question. Attached is the defaults for WinServer 2016.Name:  2019-01-22_10-31-18.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  105.8 KB

Does this make sense?
    Yes.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing we can do because it is definitely a machine specific issue.

So just set it to, say, "MS Sans Serif, 8" in your project, recompile and it will display fine again on your machine (like it did in the past; your screenshot from August 29, 2018; before I suggested to change it to the default "MS Shell Dlg"). But the recommended setting is "MS Shell Dlg" so Windows can choose the font on the target machine.

If you are interested, you can send me your setup.exe stub and I'll send a screenshot how it looks on our machines. We have about 50 different Windows machines and configurations.

Friedrich

Did you check the WOW6432 registry branch, too?

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information