+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0002:0005 error during install

Default 0002:0005 error during install

Yep, I've seen the FAQ on this topic

My guess is that this failure (the load failure / access denied) is happening when the installer tries to dynamically load our Clarion DLL (which does some license checking). The results of this attempt do not change despite the user disabling their AV. We do have a fairly recently updated code signing cert, so that could be a tangent as well.

Even with Webroot and Windows Defender disabled, the 0002:0005 error persists.

What other escape routes out of this situation are there, outside of complete removal of the AV tools or delivering a ZIP? Obviously, neither are particularly desirable.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Default Re: 0002:0005 error during install

Hi Mark,

do you have a screenshot available? And is there any error code after the "0002:0005" error?

Because the code signing cert is new (and does not have any reputation), I would suggest to build a reputation first. I can send you our "reputation builder" project file if you want.

IMO, the protection software "locks" the temporary folder actions in your case.

Friedrich

By the way, error "0002:" indicates that it comes from the STUB loader. The second part "0005" is GetLastError() ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED (Access is denied).

The STUB loader unpacked the decompression library LSUNPACK into the temporary Windows folder (this succeeded in your case). Otherwise, we would have seen a "0001:" error. After the unpacking process it used "LoadLibrary" to load the LSUNPACK library. This failed with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIDED. In other words, the protection software blocked the LoadLibrary Windows API action.

Friedrich

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    Hi Mark,

do you have a screenshot available? And is there any error code after the "0002:0005" error?

Because the code signing cert is new (and does not have any reputation), I would suggest to build a reputation first. I can send you our "reputation builder" project file if you want.

IMO, the protection software "locks" the temporary folder actions in your case.

Friedrich
    Projection project - worth a try.

No additional error code.

Here's the screenshot:

Name:  SB00020005.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  31.5 KB

BTW, even removing the AV software (webroot - a particularly aggressive tool from what I can see) - the install fails with the same error.

Mark

Yes, I see. Definitely the "Access denied" error I mentioned.

1. setup.exe starts
    2. setup writes LSUNPACK decompression library into the temporary Windows folder (SUCCESS!)
    3. setup uses the LoadLibrary Windows API to load the successfully created LSUNPACK library (FAILS!). This load process fails with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIDED in your case.

So "something" on this machine locks the component in the temporary Windows folder. It's a typical "false-postive".

Friedrich

Mark,

what about Windows Defender? Is it enabled and active on this machine?

Friedrich

Yes, I see. Definitely the "Access denied" error I mentioned.

1. setup.exe starts
    2. setup writes LSUNPACK decompression library into the temporary Windows folder (SUCCESS!)
    3. setup uses the LoadLibrary Windows API to load the successfully created LSUNPACK library (FAILS!). This load process fails with ERROR_ACCESS_DENIDED in your case.

So "something" on this machine locks the component in the temporary Windows folder. It's a typical "false-postive".

Friedrich

Dev was not signing these dlls prior to yesterday. That has been corrected. Will be interesting to see if that resolves it. Might be worth adding a warning to your compile-time process that unsigned dynamically loaded dlls could fail to load at runtime. Not that we would know<g>

Mark,

what about Windows Defender? Is it enabled and active on this machine?

Friedrich

Supposedly it was disabled as well, but I have my doubts on that

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information