In the past month the installer we have been using for years started writing files out to PendingFileRenameOperations to be renamed. Outside of adding a new side image no other changes have been done. No message to reboot was displayed. To my knowledge we do not hide this message because we rely on the installer to tell the user. The files being locked didn't make any sense because I was testing on a closed system and the application has never been ran on any of these VM's. With it being a closed environment there was no chance the application would be started by anyone else. I added multiple reboot tests to the SetupBuilder script. I tested right after the uninstall and before the installer finished. $SB_RESTARTFLAG$ flag was never set. I tested on multiple OSes. I tested on 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 R2, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I am on SetupBuilder Developer Edition 2019.5 Version: 10.0.6275. My script version has been upgraded but was originally SB7 and still says SB7. The text at the top says Created with build: 7.0.2680. I realize that just because the script worked for years does not mean it will always work. I guess I am looking for something else I can test to see why this is happening all of a sudden.

I tested this issue two different ways and in both cases I made sure there were no files in PendingFileRenameOperations. None of these installs or uninstalls set the $SB_RESTARTFLAG$ flag.

1. I tested by just uninstalling the program. When the uninstall finished PendingFileRenameOperations had 72 lines of files that needed to be renamed or removed. All of the files were in groups of three. However the directory no longer existed because the uninstall was successful. I would have expected the files to still be in the directory if they were locked.

2. I ran the installer. The installer uninstalls the program then reinstalls it. This removed the directory and then reinstalled to the same directory. No errors. The same files were in PendingFileRenameOperations. Now when I reboot after the install even thou I was not instructed to those 24 files get removed. I have no idea whether this is because the BACKUP directory does not exist or if it is because there are three lines instead of two. Either way the files get removed and the application will not start.

Below is three of the files that were in PendingFileRenameOperations.

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.v1 9.1.dll
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\BACKUP\Infragistics4 .Win.v19.1.0001
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.v1 9.1.dll

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.Ul traWinTree.v19.1.dll
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\BACKUP\Infragistics4 .Win.UltraWinTree.v19.1.0001
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.Ul traWinTree.v19.1.dll

\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.Ul traWinToolbars.v19.1.dll
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\BACKUP\Infragistics4 .Win.UltraWinToolbars.v19.1.0001
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\CompanyName\ProductName\Infragistics4.Win.Ul traWinToolbars.v19.1.dll