+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to add new core prerequisite other than the present ones in Setup Builder 10

Default How to add new core prerequisite other than the present ones in Setup Builder 10

Hi,
    I have doubts about core prerequisite in setup builder, it will be very great if help me for those.

A. I want to add new core prerequisite, say for specific browser e.g. if Google chrome is not installed then I want that my setup should I ask, "we need google chrome should I install it(something like this)'
    1 case: if user says yes then install it, if user says no then exit the setup(like mandatory prerequisite).
    2 case: if user says yes then install it, if user says no then continue without chrome (like not mandatory prerequisite).

B. I want a separate screen for core prerequisite where user will have option to choose not mandatory requirements to install, some prerequisite are not it in package so how can we download it and install?

Default Re: How to add new core prerequisite other than the present ones in Setup Builder 10

Hello,

a core-prerequisite is nothing more (or less) than an include script (.sbi).

Once you know how to detect an existing Google Chrome browser installation (e.g. via a registry check) you can develop #A (case 1 and 2). A separate screen for prerequisites is no problem at all. You can use a standard dialog (e.g. Checkboxes) or a custom dialog to handle it. And of course, you can download the runtimes via the Download File script function.

Just send me a prototype of your separate screen (text you would like to see, etc.) and we can try to develop a sample project for you.

Friedrich

Default Re: How to add new core prerequisite other than the present ones in Setup Builder 10

Thank you very much Friedrich, for your immediate reply.

We are trying to build a prerequisite screen for our product. Mainly prerequisite screen will have a list of prerequisite software which has not installed on user machine, each item will have a checkbox in front of software name. By default all check box will be checked and mandatory softwares check box are disabled, however user can uncheck not mandatory softwares checkbox if user want. When user click on install button we want to install all checked softwares on user machine and show progress for each item in list. Some of the softwares will be packaged in product itself however for some we want to download the latest version of it from internet like JRE(java).

I would like to mention one bug(may be in my case only), previously as you said "a core-prerequisite is nothing more (or less) than an include script (.sbi).', I was checking/testing the SetupBuilder for core-prerequisite of Microsoft SQL server 2008 Express Edition(x64) on my machine, while installing the output exe I found that it was not asking me for above prerequisite, so I debugged included script. While debugging I found that Display Message Box (...)(line no 99) function gets executed but it does not show any message box and assume that user has clicked no and continue execution further.

One more, I was checking/testing the SetupBuilder for core-prerequisite Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64).

Another question, I was trying to create setup with UAC execution level 'asInvoker' and installing setup in %localappdata%\MyProduct in with desktop shortcut, however desktop shortcut was not created after installation, I guess we need admin permission for it, is it like this or am I missing something??

Just want to confirm (I apologize for asking many questions in one thread only), from documentation I guess using command line compiler we can integrate setup builder with Jenkins pipeline right? and do we need any other plugin for Jenkins integration?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

thanks for the additional information. We'll develop a demo project (including JRE(java) download) for you this week.

We'll check the Debugger scenario, thank you!

With regard to your "per-user" Desktop Shortcut. Please try the "Set Installer Flag..." function:

Set Installer Flag $SB_ALLUSERSFLAG$ to "0"

(do not mark the "Set Flag" checkbox). Does this work?

BTW, the "sb10.exe" command line compiler works finer with Azure DevOps build agent so Jenkins should not be a problem. It's a standard Win32 executable which returns an error code after the compilation process.

Friedrich

Hello,

Thanks for the answers.

I tried by setting Set Installer function and it worked well, however now I am not getting entry in add/remove programs of windows, is there any function?

In previous reply mistakenly I wrote only "One more, I was checking/testing the SetupBuilder for core-prerequisite Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64)." actually I wanted to ask, when I was checking core-prerequisite of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64), then while installing output exe, setup does install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64) but it immediately restart the user machine without asking to user and after restart it shows finish screen of setup installation. how to tackle this, we can not allow our setup to immediately restart the user machine without asking to user.

Quote Originally Posted by testuser View Post
    I tried by setting Set Installer function and it worked well, however now I am not getting entry in add/remove programs of windows, is there any function?
    Where did you add the Set Installer Flag function? Did you do something like this:

! --- Define commonly used constants ---
    #include script "Common Definitions.sbi"

Set Installer Flag $SB_ALLUSERSFLAG$ to "0"

This will instruct the installer to create per-user shortcuts and uninstall entries.

Friedrich

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by testuser View Post
    In previous reply mistakenly I wrote only "One more, I was checking/testing the SetupBuilder for core-prerequisite Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64)." actually I wanted to ask, when I was checking core-prerequisite of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64), then while installing output exe, setup does install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-19 Redistributable Package (x64) but it immediately restart the user machine without asking to user and after restart it shows finish screen of setup installation. how to tackle this, we can not allow our setup to immediately restart the user machine without asking to user.
    If a standard SetupBuilder installer reboots a machine, it always asks the user. Do you have a silent install? If this is the case, please set "General Information" -> "Advanced Settings" -> Reboot Message during Silent Install to YES.

And in Line 158 of the "rt_vc2019redist_x86.sbi" you can disable a requested (from the Microsoft redistributable!) reboot request.

A SetupBuilder standard install itself will NEVER reboot without asking.

Friedrich

Thanks Friedrich!!!

Previously I had added Set Installer Flag function line just above the create shortcut script line, as suggested by you I moved Set Installer Flag function line above, then it worked like magic.

Thank you Friedrich!!

Might be I was doing silent installation, I checked both core-prerequisite and both are working fine for now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information