+ Reply to Thread

Thread: decompression error #8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default decompression error #8

Hello,

I'm getting continual decompression errors on code-signed web setups.
    It fails on one file or another always with error#8
    I recompiled without including Code Signing and it worked fine.

The compiled a different version of the install, code-signed and uploaded to the web. that failed as well.

You know the old song ... I've done this install on this project for the last 20 years (OMG) I have never had a decompression error.

I searched the forum first and found advice about Installer integrity check but I always had that checked.
    What else can I try?

and I checked the Install's certificate through properties - digital signature and it said the certificate is ok.

Thanks much,
    Chris C
    Last edited by ccordes; 09-16-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Additional info
    coffee.cup not found. Programmer halted.

Default Re: decompression error #8

Hi Chris,

error #8 is a simple CRC-32 error and protects your clients. It is not really a "decompression" error per-se. The downloaded file is corrupt - similar to an incomplete ZIP file.

Code-signing is done on your .exe file only, not the cluster files! Installer integrity is another layer of protection and would not help to solve your problem. If you are sure that your uploaded files are 100% OK (no upload error), then it's caused by a download issue (not related to SetupBuilder or the installer, btw). Perhaps the virus definition file is buggy (and does not like your code-signing certificate) or it does not like your IP address (blacklisted).

In this specific case, it is very hard to find out what causes the (download) transmission error. The only good thing is that it is not caused by the installer. But unfortunately, this does not help you in any way.

Friedrich

BTW, 20 years ?????? OMG

Friedrich

Thanks for the quick reply, Friedrich. You said what I was thinking - an out-of-my-control issue. I don't think it's blacklisting since, the bin files get downloaded, just badly.
    And yes, 20. The project was created to fix Y2K issues in a COBOL program. I've been taking care of this ever since, though, I think I started with Setup builder in 2006 +/-

Hi Chris,

but the one million dollar question is, why does it work (or seems to work) if the .EXE is not code-signed. The code-signature has nothing to do with the .BIN file (or the download process). SignTool only touches the .EXE and not the .BIN.

OMG, good old 2006 My daughter was two years old.

Friedrich

That's my question for today. - Why does it not break when the exe isn't signed.
    If you have any ideas, pass them along. Right now I think its coincidence.

My grand daughter is 2 years old this year.

There, I fixed it.
    I'm still not sure why this makes a difference but I fixed the issue by removing the 4 large data files (2+GB) that make up the distributed data from the program setup and put only those files in a separate data update.
    BTW - the single install project for this creates the 8 different versions of the software and 2 versions of the data. The data install is called at the end of the program install if the user selects to copy the data.
    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information