Hi there:

At least to my understanding, the number of checkboxes on a single instance of the checkbox has a hard limit of 10 items. So even if I could think up a way to read in the text from file that file would be limited to 10 items. To accomplish what you’re thinking i just thought up a quick solution:

1. When the new instance is installed, have a dialog that asks for a unique installation ID
2. Store the user input in a variable such as %installname%
3. Write the variable’s contents out to a text file somewhere in the instance where you’re sure the user won’t change it
4. At update time, ask the user for the path of the installed instance then look for that text file and read that install ID into a new variable such %targetinstall%. Set an if statement that if %targetinstall% equals (a value) then make (specified changes) else do something different.

You can add a dialog that prompts the user for install ID to see if the ID from the file and the instance the user thinks they’re updating match.

This is just a quick solution i came up while I was bored, so I’m sure there’s a better way and I’m not sire of any consequences or adverse effects from doing it this way, but definitely give it a go.