+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've built a demo on how to use the patch feaure

Post I've built a demo on how to use the patch feaure

Hello Everyone:

hope this finds you well. I've just built a patch demo that shows how to use the patching capabilities in SetupBuilder. This demo shows how to patch Adobe DreamWeaver CS3 to get rid of the product activation. I've included 2 scenarios with this demo, the first is a full deployment where you use Adobe's installer to install the program, the my setup to patch it; the second, is a partial deployment where you create an appropriate folder for the original target file to live and then run my patch. The partial deployment will not function in any way since it is not the full DreamWeaver installation. If you want to do complete testing, please use the full deployment.

IMPORTANT: THIS PROJECT IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE TO USE ADOBE DREAMWEAVER CS3, THIS PROJECT DOES NOT GIVE YOU A LICENSE TO DO SO. I GOT SICK AND TIRED OF REPEATING ADOBE'S ACTIVATION PROCESS ON MULTIPLE COMPUTERS AT SCHOOL SO I GOT A PATCH MADE THEN I GOT SICK OF MANUALLY DOING THE PATCH SO AUTOMATED THAT PATCHING WITH SB. AGAIN I USED FULLY LICENSED SOFTWARE! WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY.

I am not responsible for your actions if you misuse this example to get free software so please don't come blaming me if you get busted as I just am giving the educational tools

Here's the instructions on how to use this demo and the link to download it:
    [INSTRUCTIONS]

This file is intended to show how to use the Patching capabilities in LinderSoft SetupBuilder. In the example included, the patch bypasses the activation mechanism on Adobe DreamWeaver CS3. There are 2 scenarios as follows which this sample can be used:
    (1) you want to confirm that the patch actually works (e.g. do a full deployment then update)
    (2) You'd much rather just see the patch in action.

If you'd like to do scenario 1, I've included the original DreamWeaver 9.0 installation files from Adobe. Simply run the setup.exe from the "original Adobe DreamWeaver CS3 Install" folder and follow its prompts. Once that runs, feel free to run DreamWeaver as normal to see that there is indeed activation present, let some time fall off the trial period, or even let the trial expire. Once you're satisfied with the performance then run the "DW-CS3-PATCH.exe" in the "final-install" folder to patch the activation out of existence. Once you're satisfied that you understand how patching in SetupBuilder works, please remoe all Adobe DreamWeaver CS3 files from your system unless you've actually paid for a license to use Adobe DreamWeaver CS3 as this is provided for educational purposes only and not to give free software.
    If you'd much rather do scenario 2 and not fully test how the patch itself works and are satisfied with taking my word for it that the patch actually works, and just want to experiment with patching in SetupBuilder, take these steps:
    1. Create a folder in "C:\program files" (for 32-bit systems) or "C:\Program Files (x86)" (on 64-bit systems) called Adobe-Test.
    2. Cope the dreamweaver.exe from the folder called "original" included with this script to your Adobe-test folder.
    3. run DW-CS3-PATCH.exe from the "final-install" folder included with this archive and watch the patch run. NOTE: BECAUSE YOU DID NOT DO A FULL DEPLOYMENT, THE INSTALLED APPLICATION WILL NOT FUNCTION.
    NOTE: if you have a copy of Adobe DreamWeaver CS3 that was already installed and not yet activated, you can use that install to test that the patch actuay worked.

[END INSTRUCTIONS]
    Last edited by lmodern1878; 08-21-2021 at 04:04 AM.

Default Re: I've built a demo on how to use the patch feaure

As interesting as your patch technique might be, and no matter how you couch it, if you are distributing a work around to a company's security, then you are distributing a crack to that software and are responsible for it. Any user's action not withstanding.
    You included original Dreamweaver 9 installation files. That is distributing unauthorized copies of licensed software.
    Please don't put things like this on Friedrich's forum.
    Maybe next time you can do a patch for setup builder.
    coffee.cup not found. Programmer halted.

Default Re: I've built a demo on how to use the patch feaure

Quote Originally Posted by ccordes View Post
    As interesting as your patch technique might be, and no matter how you couch it, if you are distributing a work around to a company's security, then you are distributing a crack to that software and are responsible for it. Any user's action not withstanding.
    You included original Dreamweaver 9 installation files. That is distributing unauthorized copies of licensed software.
    Please don't put things like this on Friedrich's forum.
    Maybe next time you can do a patch for setup builder.
    Normally I wouldn’t a care as to such things as license agreements or such (especially on such old software) and if someone misuses my demo that’s them misusing it and I’m not responsible for anyone’s actions but my own (my logic: if you buy a gun and use that gun to harm someone is the gun maker responsible for your actions? No… you’re responsible for your actions) however, I see how this example could be abused even with all the disclaimers and such so i removed the link. That was the quickest thing I had to hand to demonstrate patching and since I had to get the job done anyway for my own use… I went ahead and put it here as an example. I actually am not much of a programmer but instead use SB for internal projects (e.g. deploying documentation sets, packaging up files for my own personal use, etc.) and as i learn these things… I like to share it so other’s can learn.

Again normally I would care less… but you make valid points and I wouldn’t want someone getting free SB with a crack (thus shorting Lindersoft out of revenues) so why should I enable others to do the same to Adobe? Maybe because they’re a huge corporation that nickels and dimes their customers with the whole “you don’t own it… once your subscription is up, that’s it give us more money…” attitude… in my opinion, Lindersoft does subscription models right; buy the software and one year worth of updates and fixes; but if you don’t you can still use your older version you just won’t get updates… but again you do make a very valid point and for that I respectfully got rid of the link in the original post.

Thanks for the reply and stay safe

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information