+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Setting version number in "Add / remove programs"

Default Setting version number in "Add / remove programs"

Scenario:

User runs our "full installer" (icons, folders, binaries, etc.. eg: "install everything") to install. This results in the following value in add/remove programs (first image):

Name:  Image 2022-05-09 at 1.09.55 PM.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  63.8 KB

User later runs our "update installer" (updates binaries only). In the PRODUCTVER compiler variable, the current build # is provided in the update installer.

When they do this, version info in add/remove programs is not updated. All the guids are the same, so in that context, it appears the version # should be updated in add/remove programs.

I suspect the cause is that the update installer (left side of image below) does not have add/remove program support enabled (next image), while the full installer (right side of image below) does have it enabled:

Name:  Image 2022-05-09B.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  228.8 KB

I cant test this (someone else can but they are traveling) - but even if I could, I want to confirm that enabling add/remove program support is the key to making this value change.

Mark

Default Re: Setting version number in "Add / remove programs"

Hi Mark,

that is correct. If Add/Remove Program support is not enabled then it can't update the version information. What you can do is to manually update the version (if you do not want to enable "Add/Remove Programs"). But the default is to have this option enabled to automate the process.

Friedrich

Default Re: Setting version number in "Add / remove programs"

Cool. Thanks for your prompt reply, Friedrich

Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information