+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OneDrive (and perhaps Office) and unexpected CSIDL_PERSONAL values returned by SB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OneDrive (and perhaps Office) and unexpected CSIDL_PERSONAL values returned by SB

We've had a few users struggling at install-time with folders under \users\username\documents lately.

This is one of several messages we might see:

Name:  NotWritable.png
Views: 621
Size:  14.2 KB

I started adding log entries to get to the bottom of the rather odd folder name. Here's the code I used:

Name:  SBCode.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  33.9 KB

The user returned the log to me today and I have pointed out the rather unusual coming back from my request to SB to tell me the folder for CSIDL_PERSONAL on this user's login.

This is what was returned:

Name:  CSIDLPersonal.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  127.2 KB

Needless to say, finding ?? in a folder spec is a bit of a surprise. I suspect that the user has enabled OneDrive file sync inside of Office - but I have not confirmed that yet (and this user may have no control over that).

While I can ask the user to manually force the folder location via the command line (a feature of our install for automation-leaning customers), this is far from ideal - particularly if OneDrive market penetration increases.

I was a bit shocked to find an invalid folder name coming back from this request.

Mark

Default Re: OneDrive (and perhaps Office) and unexpected CSIDL_PERSONAL values returned by SB

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay. Covid-19 hit our office hard. We are still closed :-(

Friedrich

Default Re: OneDrive (and perhaps Office) and unexpected CSIDL_PERSONAL values returned by SB

Ok. Hope you guys get to feeling better, Friedrich.

Mark

Friedrich,

Bumping this.

Mark

Bump. This is a big hassle when a user lets OneDrive take control of their desktop/docs folder.

Hi Mark,

I have added a SB runtime "workaround" to handle this. It would be great if you could test it when the next beta is available. I had to revamp the wizard dialog engine again for higher DPI machines.

Friedrich

Ok, will do. Glad to hear about the DPI improvements.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information