+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detecting Windows 11 operating system

Default Detecting Windows 11 operating system

Before asking the question, I want you to know that I did try searching through the Forum for this answer, but couldn't find anything.

Will SetupBuilder 2022, when it is released, have built-in checks for the Windows 11 operating system the same way it can easily detect other Windows operating systems? There's no easy way in SB 2019 (that I can tell) of easily detecting if the computer is running Windows 11 operating system. It seems to return the same values for Windows 11 that it does for Windows 10. I assume that's because Microsoft tried to make Windows 11 look so much like Windows 10.

Default Re: Detecting Windows 11 operating system

Jerry,

sorry for the delay. COVID-19 hit our office hard and we are still not back in business.

The upcoming SetupBuilder 2022 already supports Windows 11 (including ARM64) and Server 2022 detection. We'll make a first beta version available soon.

Friedrich

Hi Friedrich,

Noting your July comment above about COVID and your office, was curious if you could provide an update.

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Mark,

COVID-19 really slowed things down here :-( We have completely revamped the installer dialog design in SetupBuilder and have rewritten the underlying file concept. It supports files and archives >2GB now. And we have added functionality to support x86, x64 and ARM64 installations. There was a showstopper in this new (LSPack driven) file installation component because it makes use of 64-bit stuff in the Clarion environment, but I think we have fixed this now.

We'll make the new SetupBuilder version available on November 21, 2022.

Again, I am very sorry for the delay :-(

Friedrich

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    Hi Mark,

COVID-19 really slowed things down here :-( We have completely revamped the installer dialog design in SetupBuilder and have rewritten the underlying file concept. It supports files and archives >2GB now. And we have added functionality to support x86, x64 and ARM64 installations. There was a showstopper in this new (LSPack driven) file installation component because it makes use of 64-bit stuff in the Clarion environment, but I think we have fixed this now.

We'll make the new SetupBuilder version available on November 21, 2022.

Again, I am very sorry for the delay :-(

Friedrich
    Hi Friedrich,

I'm not watching the clock regarding SB2022 I was mostly curious if you guys were ok and getting back up to speed. You've been uncharacteristically quiet, which created a little concern, but it sounds like you were simply busy building stuff.

Mark

From what I understand, the official way to detect Windows 11, is to look at the Operating System Build Number
    I've read that a build number >= 22000 implies Windows 11
    but I've found that it's better to check for >= 21966

Now how do get the OS build number in SetupBuilder.
    I haven't tested this, but the help shows

Get System Info => Windows Build Number—The build number of the OS version. If the version was 5.00.2600, "2600" would be returned.

In Clarion....
    IsWin11OrGreater PROCEDURE()!,BOOL
    CODE
    RETURN CHOOSE( SYSTEM{PROP:WindowsVersion, 5} >= 21966 ) ! 5 = BuildNumber

HTH,
    Mark Goldberg

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information