+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code signing confusion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Code signing confusion

I am attempting to purchase a code signing certificate via the Lindersoft web site. After entering my login user name and password, I am taken to https://secure.trust-provider.com/pr...igningSignup1a

Here you discover that you must use Internet Explorer or an ancient version of Firefox to continue and that all modern Chromium based browsers cannot be used.

What are you going to do now that Microsoft has been removing/disabling Internet Explorer on Windows 10 and 11 systems?

Default Re: Code signing confusion

As you can see in this video, even using Internet Explorer to purchase a signing certificate is a total fail: https://youtu.be/sCiRWoQCu10

Hello,

again, this is not a Lindersoft page but the original Sectigo ordering site. We only redirect you to their servers. In fact, Sectigo would never ever share any customer related info with a 3rd party (us). You order directly from their site and you pay to Sectigo. We only pay an additional service fee (on an anonymous basis).

Friedrich

I don't think you understand the matter. Try it yourself. Try to order a digital signing certificate yourself using Chrome, Vivaldi, Edge, or Internet Explorer. You will simply fail when you attempt to get beyond the first page. The first 3 browsers cannot be used according to the warning message at the top of the screen, and using IE fails to generate any certificate request even after changing the trusted site settings as per Sectigo's instructions. You simply cannot purchase a certificate using the doorway page that Lindersoft has provided.

Surely someone must know how to get past the "Your browser did not send a certification request" error?
    Seems like the problem might be:
    1) An anti-virus thing blocking I/E, or
    2) One of the many ActiveX settings that can be tweaked under the “Security level for this zone”, or
    3) Maybe Microsoft really did kill this fashion of obtaining code signing certificates!
    -- Rich F.
    -Rich F.

I had no choice to find another means to obtain a digital signing certificate since the Lindersoft doorway simply doesn't work no matter how hard I attempt finding a fix for the unsupported browsers and failure of IE to send the request.

The problem I am now having has to do with getting a certificate under a fictitious business name (dba) as opposed to my own personal name. I am sure I'm not the only software developer that uses a business moniker (aka "fictitious name" or "dba") for their small business software development. Is there any "trick" or method for a John Smith to get the certificate to display "ABC Software" as opposed to "John Smith"?

Hello,

again, this is not caused by any "Lindersoft doorway". This is the original Sectigo order page on Sectigo servers (they are processing quite a few thousand certificate requests per day).

BTW, you have to ask the WebTrust how to handle dbs's. I know that there are very strict rules in town.

Friedrich

Hi Rich,

I think you are 100% right with 1) or 2).

BTW, I requested a 3yr certificate for a customer today. New Windows 10 Pro virtual machine, standard settings. Opened IE and accepted all the requested security settings. Certificate request worked without any problem.

Friedrich

Hello,

please note that we only redirect you to the original Sectigo ordering page ;-) So WE can't do anything here and it has absolutely nothing to do with Lindersoft. We only provide access to discounted original Sectigo certificates.

Here is an interesting reading:

http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/sho...e-process-2020

https://www.setupbuilder.com/downloads/Comodo2020.pdf

BTW, IE is still available in Win10 (Select Start and enter Internet Explorer).

Friedrich

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    BTW, IE is still available in Win10 (Select Start and enter Internet Explorer).
    Microsoft is removing IE according to Microsoft. You can confirm this here: https://www.howtogeek.com/846237/her...tely%20removed.

Relevant quote from the above article:
    The next stage in the plan will start with the February 2023 security update for Windows 11, which is currently scheduled for February 14, 2023, and a preview build will be available on January 17. With that update, Internet Explorer icons on the Start Menu and taskbar will be removed, and any files or shortcuts that open in IE will be opened with Edge instead.

So my original question still stands... What is a Setupbuilder customer supposed to do when all the browsers that one might have cannot be used to purchase a code signing certificate via the Lindersoft doorway page?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information