+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .Net Framework 3.5

Default .Net Framework 3.5

Just checking to see if you have .Net Framework 3.5 redistributable planned soon?

Jim

Default Re: .Net Framework 3.5

Jim,

.NET 3.5 detection is already built-in, but the current official .NET 3.5 redistributable is a hefty 197 MB files. We'll not add built-in support for this one (really does not make sense).

The 3.5 Framework (located on the VS2008 DVD) is only 6MB, but it's not allowed to redistribute this yet. So when Microsoft makes this redistributable available to the public, we'll support it.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Yes, I understand. I'm using web deployment and a 197Mb file would do me (my customers) in.

I had read somewhere that they expected the 3.5 redistributable to be around 4Mb so I was hoping that it was available at around that size. I don't want to move forward with VS2008 until my SetupBuilder IDE fully supports it.

I've identified a couple of painful stability issues with the VS2005 IDE and will move to VS2008 as soon as all the stars align. (so I can try out a new set of problems )

Thanks for the quick response,

Jim

Hi Jim,

We are already using VS2008 and the 3.5 redistributable is around 6 MB. Unfortunately, we are not allowed redistribute it (yet).

The "official" release date for VS2008 is (I think) February 2008, so we'll not see the lightweight version anytime soon.

Friedrich

What is the status of this?

The size of the .NET Framework 3.5 increased to more than 200 MB!! We'll not support this as a built-in redistributable. Of course, you can download it from Microsoft and then use it in your SetupBuilder installer.

Does this help?

Friedrich

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    The size of the .NET Framework 3.5 increased to more than 200 MB!! We'll not support this as a built-in redistributable. Of course, you can download it from Microsoft and then use it in your SetupBuilder installer.

Does this help?

Friedrich
    Are there any disadvantages to doing it that way?

No, absolutely no disadvantages! All SetupBuilder "built-in" Core PreRequisites make use of the original Microsoft redistributables.

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information