+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uninstall Everything! Possible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Uninstall Everything! Possible?

Hello,

I wanted to know if the Uninstall capabilities of SB5 have any way of removing all traces of a program's installation.

IOW, my app may create a subfolder and then add several or more empty database files to it. Typically, most uninstall utilities fail to remove this because they were unaware of these files during the install.

A nice feature might be some setting that makes the uninstall ask if the user would like to remove everything found within the main program directory, regardless if the files were part of the installation script. So if the user installed the app to "Program Files\My_App", then the uninstaller would delete everything in that folder plus the existence of the \My_App folder itself.

This is actually important because shareware sites that evaluate and rank applications (like "Tucows"), give extra points for applications that remove all traces of their app during uninstall.

Later,
    Doug

Default Re: Uninstall Everything! Possible?

Doug,

No problem. SetupBuilder 5 Developer Edition provides a "scriptable" uninstaller. You can use *all* script functions here (except the "Install File(s)" function)

See "Uninstall Script Demo 1.sb5"

Does this help?

Unregistered Guest

Ok. That is great news.

However, I have tried adding just basic uninstall capabilities to my script, and I am running into a roadblock. I'm fairly certain its some setting I have incorrect, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

The uninstall demo works fine, and I used it to mimic my basic uninstall. But I must be missing something.

After installing my app, I go to the XP control panel and to the Add/Remove Program List... I see my app entry listed. But when I attempt to remove it... I get an "Uninstaller Error". The messages states "An error occurred while attempting to remove program. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove the program from the Add or Remove program list?"

I checked and did find my files installed correctly on the HD.

Any clues as to why the uninstall thinks my app is no longer located on the pc?

Thanks,
    Doug

Ok... forget the last post... I found my error... but I think I found a small bug as well.

I cannot get the correct icon to display in the XP Add or Remove Program window.

In the Display Icon field, I have selected my exe that I want the ico file extracted from, but it seems to be pulling the ico from a different exe in the same directory. I even tried changing the icon index from 0 to 1, and it still uses a totally different icon that I believe is not even compiled as a resource in the exe I have chosen.

Other than that, the uninstaller customizations are awesome as usual! Boy, did InstallShield suck in this area.

Doug

Thank you, Doug

We can reproduce the "icon index" problem here. Item in review.

Thanks,

Icon bug fixed, thank you!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information