Thread: XP Installs with "User" Privileges

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default XP Installs with "User" Privileges

I have a package I would like to deploy to computers "locked down" under active directory in Windows XP. Currently, I have 62 computers to maintain but expect that will increase to 180+. To install, I have to log onto each computer as administrator and install the package. I would like to be able to allow the users to install the package when advised it is available. All files will be written to folders where the user has rights, and no files will be registered or written to the Windows/System32 folder.

Currently, regardless of what I do, I get a window that says I have to have administrative rights to run the install. I have tried setting the "RequestedExecutionLevel" variable to "asInvoker" or "HighestAvailable" to no avail (it is noted in the docs that this is for Vista only).

I have disabled every feature within SetupBuilder that I can think of that would require administrative rights, but I still get the error message.

Is there a way to create an installation package for a standard user to self-install?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Mikkelsen

Thread Information