+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SB Program Update versus Documentation Update

Default SB Program Update versus Documentation Update

I notice that in SetupBuilder there are seperate entries to check for program updates versus checking for documentation updates.

The program update asks about proxy servers whereas the documentation update simply performs the check and then downloads any new documentation.

Couldn't a single link be used to download either/both program and documention at the same time?

I realize that when doing program updates SB6 must be shut down if it is running whereas documentation does not have that requirement. However, it still seems that both things (Pgm and Docs) could be done with the same check.

Are we supposed to have seperate links in our executables for Program versus Documentation update checks? If so, how is the SB6 code configured in each case?

-O. D.-

Default Re: SB Program Update versus Documentation Update

Hello,

You can configure the proxy server information in "Tools" | "Options..." | Web Update tab

More than 400! users requested a separation of core application and documentation web update for SetupBuilder 6.0. That's why we have "Check for Updates..." and "Check for Documentation Updates..." links now. Not all users have the PDF manual installed and so the "Check for Documentation Updates..." feature can detect what has to be updated (.CHM only or both .CHM and .PDF).

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

Red face Re: SB Program Update versus Documentation Update

Thanks, Friedrich.

Obviously I need to sit down and read the entire manual from cover to cover. I have spent a great deal of time in the manual, but I somehow missed that one. I'll add that feature to my programs.

-O. D.-

Always ask if there is any question or problem

Have a great weekend.

Friedrich

Hello,

I spent a great deal of time reading the PDF manual last night and even more time today. I have used the search function to look up "documentation", "web update", "web downloads", "documentation updates", etc.

Everything I found related to updating the documentation for Setup Builder and nothing on how to put the documentation update feature in our own programs.

My original question was in relation to my own software which is to be installed by SB6. I would like to have two links in my software, one for Program updates and another for Documentation updates, just like you do in SB6.

The section of the manual on Web Updates only talks about Program Updates and has no checkboxes or seperate screens for Documentation Only Updates.

I am beginning to think that the Documentation Update feature in SB was not built with SB but rather was hard coded. Is this right?

If not, then how do we configure the Web Update feature for use in our programs so that our users can also have a "documentation only" download link? I realize that we would use SB6 to build a small exe file which our program must call. This is how we got our program to check for program updates. However, I can not find from the Manual how to build such a stand-alone exe file using SB6.

-O. D.-

Hello,

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted your original message. I thought you asked why there is a separate link for Application Updates and Documentation updates in the SetupBuilder IDE.

You are right. The Application Update is done via the standard Web Update feature, the Documentation Update is handled through the IDE.

You have several options to do this with SetupBuilder in your own application. For example, develop a small SetupBuilder executable that is called from within your application and checks the documentation version on your web server (you can use the "Download File" function here). Provide the documentation as a ZIP file.

What we do is, we have a file on the server that holds the CRC32 value of the new documentation (included in a standard zip). The SetupBuilder application checks the CRC32 value of the installed documentation. If the CRC32 is different, the new documentation is downloaded.

Okay, if the documentation on the target machine is outdated, download the ZIP file and unzip it after the download process. All the functions are native built-in SetupBuilder functions.

Hope this helps.

Friedrich

Smile Re: SB Program Update versus Documentation Update

Friedrich,

Once again, SetupBuilder saves the day! I am sorry that I implied that you might be doing the documentation download using custom code rather than just the SB IDE. I have repented and I am now a True Believer, SB can do ANYTHING! No Exceptions!

Since that is true, let's kick this up a notch. I have a friend who is building a time machine. We are having trouble with the Time Warp Capacitor Flux Flow calculations. How can SetupBuilder be used to solve those? <grin>

(Look on the bright side, if the guy actually succeeds we can use his machine to go back in time and convince all your competitors to go into some other field of work and then you will be the only provider of Setup Builder type software! In my opinion, the software world will be a better place for it.)

You amaze me, Friedrich, I have bought more than my share of software that does not live up to its promises. Now comes SetupBuilder which EXCEEDS all its promises by a wide margin. The software industry could use a lot more people like you. Thanks for developing this amazing product and making it available to us. I've started telling all my associates about it. If they are smart, they will buy it!

-O. D.-
    Last edited by CMS Software; 06-07-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: minor typo on my part

Thank you so much for your kind words!!!!!!

--
    Friedrich Linder
    Lindersoft
    www.lindersoft.com
    +1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
    Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

Friedrich,

You stated the following in reply to one of my prior questions:

You have several options to do this with SetupBuilder in your own application. For example, develop a small SetupBuilder executable that is called from within your application and checks the documentation version on your web server (you can use the "Download File" function here). Provide the documentation as a ZIP file.

What we do is, we have a file on the server that holds the CRC32 value of the new documentation (included in a standard zip). The SetupBuilder application checks the CRC32 value of the installed documentation. If the CRC32 is different, the new documentation is downloaded.

Okay, if the documentation on the target machine is outdated, download the ZIP file and unzip it after the download process. All the functions are native built-in SetupBuilder functions.

Would you be willing to post an example script showing how SB does this with its documentation so that we do not have to reinvent the wheel? I realize you would have to use "sample" URLs and passwords, etc., but you have done that in other posts so it should be no problem.

???????

O. D.

I have uploaded a quick and dirty demo for you.

Please download: http://www.lindersoft.com/projects/C...tionUpdate.zip

Unzip into a temporary folder and you'll have the following files:

Client files:
    1. documentation_test.chm - the old Version 1.0 documentation
    2. CheckForDocumentationUpdate.exe - Update checker compiled with SetupBuilder 6.8

Server files:
    3. docu.txt - configuration file that is located on the server and includes the CRC32 of the new Version 2.0 documentation
    4. documentation_test.zip - the new Version 2 documentation (in a standard Zip file)

Source code:
    5. CheckForDocumentationUpdate.sb6 - source code project (SB6) for CheckForDocumentationUpdate.exe

Double-click the documentation_test.chm online help file. It's Version 1.0.

Then execute CheckForDocumentationUpdate.exe. This is a very simple application compiled with SetupBuilder to check for new documentation updates. If you instructed the application to update the documentation then you have the new version available.

By the way, I have also added some code to check if the documentation is in-use.

If you run CheckForDocumentationUpdate.exe again then it will tell you that you already have the latest documentation version available.

This is the source code:

Does this help?

--
    Friedrich Linder
    Lindersoft
    www.lindersoft.com
    +1.954.252.3910

"point. click. ship" - that's SetupBuilder
    Create Windows Vista ready installations in minutes

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information