+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error when starting SetupBuilder or SB-made install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Error when starting SetupBuilder or SB-made install

When I start SetupBuilder to compile a project, I usually get these two errors:

...then...

...then I'm into the UI.

When I tried install BuildAutomator, I got these errors:

...then...

Default Re: Error when starting SetupBuilder or SB-made install

You get these errors when you run your compiled setup.exe, right? Not when you compile a project. The errors are installer runtime errors.

There is a problem in your script. You can send the .sb6 to support@lindersoft.com and we'll check it for you.

Friedrich

Please also send the "event log": Run your installer with the /E command line switch - this will create the c:\sbevents.txt file.

Start -> Run... -> In the run dialog, enter the fully qualified pathname including installer name with the /E switch. For example: c:\test\setup.exe /E

If it is a "long" pathname, put double quotes around it. For example: "c:\my long path\setup.exe" /E

Friedrich

The errors occur when I:

(a) Start SetupBuilder by using "START thisprojectfilename.sb6" from a DOS prompt in the folder where .sb6 is located. This is something I've always done, and has not exhibited the error before.

(b) Install a package created by someone else. It happens when I try to install BuildAutomator, and just now happened when installing RightReports.

Between the time when it happened on BA and when it happend on RR, I've uninstalled SB, cleared the Temp folder, and re-installed SB.

It doesn't occur everything I start an SB6 or an installation package, just most of the time.

NOTE: It does NOT occur when I add the /E parameter. In other words "RightReportsInstall.exe /E" will work while "RightReportsInstall.exe" does not.

This is an installer error, not a compiler (SetupBuilder IDE) error. If this happens with all applications compiled with SetupBuilder then I fear you have a problem with your Vista machine.

Just for fun, install SetupBuilder on another machine and I am sure you'll not see it.

Friedrich

Happened with /E.

The log is:

|08/27/2008|17:07:15:441|Logging started: C:\Receive\RightReportsInstall.exe
    |08/27/2008|17:07:15:449|Resource: sbside.bmp->C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Local\Temp\SB61741.tmp
    |08/27/2008|17:07:15:453|Resource: sbtop.bmp->C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Local\Temp\SB61742.tmp
    |08/27/2008|17:07:15:479|Service: C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Local\Temp\SBDLL3.DLL
    |08/27/2008|17:07:15:484|Resource: 0001.lib->C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Local\Temp\SB61763.tmp
    |08/27/2008|17:07:15:510|Resource: 0009.lib->C:\Users\Vince\AppData\Local\Temp\SB61764.tmp

...when...

...appears.

Aha, I see. I think your DLL corrupts the stack. There seems to be a problem with your custom SBDLL3.DLL dll. Perhaps you produce a buffer overrun or something like that.

Friedrich

Please ignore the above. I think you have a problem with your Vista machine. See my other posting.

Friedrich

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    Aha, I see. I think your DLL corrupts the stack. There seems to be a problem with your custom SBDLL3.DLL dll. Perhaps you produce a buffer overrun or something like that.

Friedrich
    I don't have a custom SBDLL3.DLL, so I assume that it is the one from Build Automator... I'm also not sure how that would affecting just starting the environment from the command line.

Because the SetupBuilder IDE does not display this error message, it comes from a 3rd party tool.

The command line compiler in SetupBuilder does also not have such an error code. The error is only in applications compiled with SetupBuilder!

Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information