Hi,

I’ve been trying to get my head around the Web Update for a while now (thanks to Friedrich for your helpful emails), but I just can’t seem to understand something. Our application rather large, 1200 files, 156MB total size.

Let me try to explain my question:

Our original 3.0 application is Web Deployed and works fine.
SB builds: OurApp.exe + OurApp.ini + OurApp.00001-OurApp.01200 files.
All of files are copied to www.ourwebsite.com\webinstall
A new user runs www.ourwebsite.com\webinstall\OurApp.exe to Web install our product.

Now its time to do 3.1 as a Web Update, so I follow the instructions in the “Web Update Development (the manual way)” to create a 2nd "Update" .sb6 file.
SB builds: OurApp.exe + OurApp.ini + OurApp.00001-OurApp.01200 files.

Here is where I have a problem.
If I copy all these new 3.1 files to www.ourwebsite.com\webinstall, what happens when a NEW user (who never installed 3.0) runs www.ourwebsite.com\webinstall\OurApp.exe? Since *this* installer is for an “Update” and such things as “Add Remove Programs” are disabled, we clearly don’t want a new user this OurApp.exe for a first time install.

Should I be using two separate directories for Web Install and Web Update? Since all of the OurApp.00001-OurApp.01200 files appear to be the same, I don’t “think” this is the case, but maybe so? That’s a lot of extra server space and seems like a waste.

The docs seem to “hint” at a different "update" .exe name “(e.g. myapp_101.exe)”, but following the instructions in the docs don’t mention anything about this. If I change the [EXENAME] it changes the names of all of the .0xxxx files, and I'm back to two sets of .0xxxx files.

Lastly, the docs also say: “Upload your installation file (e.g. myapp_101.exe) and the Server Manifest File (e.g. myapp.ini) to your web server.” But there is no mention of the .0xxxx files, surely these need to be copied to the server as well.

Thanks for any help. I’m sure I’m just missing something.

Mike