+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Don't order Comodo Certificate from a VISTA machine

Default Re: Don't order Comodo Certificate from a VISTA machine

This is a followup to some very good instruction by Hal Heindel, but some of his remarks are dated...
    HH - Hal Heindel - DT - David Troxell

My company provides additional, updated instruction on the Comodo Code Sign Certificate Order Process with the CHM version of this blog (click on blog link and download CHM from blog).

Product Description - App Data UAC Safe, MFG - Encourager Software
    Internet Link - http://profileexchanges.com/blog/?p=120

HH - DO order the $200 three-year special from Lindersoft. You'll save yourself the very large headache of not having to renew every year, and enough cash to almost buy SetupBuilder.

HH - DO change your account name and password if you already have an account with Comodo and you're ordering (or renewing) through Lindersoft.

HH - DO set up an email box at your domain, i.e. John@mycompany.com, then change your WHOIS email contact address with your Registrar to that email box before you place the order with Lindersoft. Comodo will not issue the certificate to another mailbox.

HH - DO have your DUNS number ready. If you don't have a Dun & Bradstreet number, plan on faxing documents to Comodo that prove your company is who and where you say it is.

DT - A valid current business license - NOT Faxed - but SCANNED and attached in Support ticket is all that is necessary for some companies.

Very helpful summary business documentation requirements provided by Friedrich Linder
    http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26424

HH - DON'T order from a VISTA machine. See above. The rocks I'm now throwing at this miserable OS are getting bigger.

DT - This is NO longer true - MANY order through Vista and Windows 7, using FireFox, IE, other browsers AND use export to PFX file format methods.

DT - Example from Comodo - Order using Windows 7 and FireFox - Certificate stored in FireFox - Directions to Export to PFX format
    https://support.comodo.com/index.php...d=419&nav=0,96

HH - DO make sure you see the radio buttons "In the CSP" and "In the file," then tick "In the file" and enter the name you want on the certificate (such as C:\MyCompany). Go there to collect both the .spc and .pvk file after the transaction.

DT - This ONLY applies to XP (or W2K) and IE - this is the ONLY way you can get .spc and .pvk file formats during order process. MUST use "In the file," Exportable checkbox - checked

DT - Special NOTE: I used XP PRO and IE in a Virtual Machine to order and retrieve .spc and .pvk file format.

HH - DON'T order the certificate in the CSP wrapper. It's useless that way unless you own Visual Studio and the SDK. Before you can even think about exporting the .spc and .pvk files, you need to convert the certificate to a .pfx file.

DT - MANY are now using Windows 7 and Firefox or IE to order - If you DID NOT use XP (or W2K) and IE - "In the file," Exportable checkbox - checked - any other combination, Windows 7, Vista, Firefox - you MUST export from browser TO PFX format.

DT - If you received your certificate in spc and pvk file format - Jane Fleming includes instructions in her documentation to convert a spc file and pvk file to a singular PFX format using a pvk2pfx program.
    http://www.beachbunnysoftware.com/webinar/

DT - If you use signtool.exe - you use the PFX file - that is possibly the ONLY file many will need to code sign certificates - IF you want to use signcode.exe - you use the .spc and .pvk files.

HH - Then, with command-line conversion tools downloaded from Shining Light Productions, to .pem files, then from there . . . you get the idea. Until last Sunday, I didn't even know what a .pem file was! To find out what you're up against, see http://www.tech-pro.net/export-to-pvk-spc.html.

DT - Yes, that is a more difficult conversion process - converting a PFX file to .spc and .pvk file formats.

HH - While entering the .pfx file into SetupBuilder is an option, my guess is you still need the .spc file and your .pvk key.

DT - No guessing needed - :-D

DT - IF you use signtool.exe with SetupBuilder - you need the PFX file.
    DT - IF you use signcode.exe with SetupBuilder - you need the .spc and .pvk file

HH - DO make copies of both your .spc certificate and your .pvk key file and store them where you can find them. The certificate is no good without the key, and Comodo can't give you another one.

DT - ONLY applies if you ORDERED using XP (or W2K) and IE - "In the file," Exportable checkbox - checked

HH - DO write down the password you assigned to your .pvk key. The key is useless without the password, and that's another thing Comodo can't give you.

DT - ONLY applies if you ORDERED using XP (or W2K) and IE - "In the file," Exportable checkbox - checked

DT - Hal's screen shot does not display "In the file" selected.

David Troxell - Encourager Software - http://www.encouragersoftware.com/

REMINDER: To help the validation process go smoothly, use an Email address at a domain that is owned by YOU or YOUR company. Comodo will look at the WHOIS of the domain you use on the order page so make sure any WhoisGuard or Privacy options have been disabled. You can re-apply any privacy settings once Comodo verified domain ownership. If you would like to check the WHOIS of your domain, you can use:

http://whois.pairnic.com/

Do not use a free email address like Hotmail, Gmail or an email address provided by your ISP.

Friedrich

--
    Friedrich Linder
    Lindersoft
    www.lindersoft.com
    +1.954.252.3910

SetupBuilder is Windows installation -- "point. click. ship"

-- Official Comodo Code Signing and SSL Certificate Partner

Apparently the screens have changed again. The first part looks the same, but the bottom half is not there on the first screen. Worse, I get an error every time I click "NEXT" for the next page. On the right side of the screen is a login/password pair saying that if we have ever ordered from Lindersoft before, we should login there. I have tried every login/password pair I have EVER received from Lindersoft and I keep getting an error of wrong Login/Password.

Which login is the correct one? The "Comodo Code Signing Certificate Request Information" does not work, nor do any of the others I have. My Certificate expired and I am trying to renew it.

-O. D.-

Hello,

No, the Comodo screens did NOT change for 6+ years! The login to the Comodo order system is your serial number and a password (see your SetupBuilder notifications). The login at the Comodo site it the login that YOU created when you ordered the certificate If you get errors then you have set security too high and Authenticode does not work!!!

Friedrich

BTW, with the correct security settings in INTERNET EXPLORER (don't use another browser) it looks like the attached.

Comodo did not modify the screens.

HTH,
    Friedrich
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks, that got me on the right track. One final question, do we use the same form for Renewals as for New Certificates?

I tried using the same Admin/PWD pair with Comodo that I used when I last renewed this certificate in 2010 but was told that name is already in use and I must choose another. Seems strange on a renewal - you would think that using the existing name would be one more security check passed. Not so, I guess.

-O. D.-

Unfortunately, there is no "renew" process for a code-signing certificate. You always have to request a new one and go through the entire process again (including identity verification). All WebTrust agencies have to follow the same strict verification standard.

Just place a new order using the same company information and Comodo should speed up the validation process. I would suggest to quote your previous Comodo order number in any correspondence with them.

Friedrich

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    BTW, with the correct security settings in INTERNET EXPLORER (don't use another browser) it looks like the attached.

Comodo did not modify the screens.

HTH,
    Friedrich
    The screen http://www.lindersoft.com/forums/att...7&d=1376984540 (which is called Cert1.jpg) is different from the actual that I have http://screencast.com/t/SFypEwvE0LG3 in that mine is missing the section for Key Storage and Key size.

Given the discussions about following things precisely, I am reluctant to go on beyond this. I saw mention that nothing has changed in 6+ years (August 2013 post). Is this still true?

Hello,

On an UAC-aware operating system, you should see the following (using Internet Explorer).

HTH,
    Friedrich

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information