+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Error when trying to create MSI

Default Error when trying to create MSI

All, I am getting the following error when trying to compile an MSI Compiler Error: SetupBuilder Windows Installer (.msi) compiler (SBMSI) not available. Anyone know what the issue is? Is it not in the evaluation version of the developer edition 8.1.4210? Thanks for your assistance Kel

Default Re: Error when trying to create MSI

Kel,

It's not really an "error". It just reports that MSI is not an option. The MSI compiler switch is only there to provide project backward compatibility to old SetupBuilder versions (back to 2006).

SetupBuilder lets you compile high-performance, native Windows installation executables instead of MSI setups. There are various fundamental limitations of MSI and only our own installation technology gives us full control over the installation process. MSI can only provide 30%-40% of the functionality that is available in our own SetupScript technology. That's why about 70% of our new customers switch *from* a MSI solution *to* SetupBuilder

BTW, you can embed a setup.exe into a setup.msi (please see "#exe2msi..." compiler directive) but I think that is not what you are looking for.

Friedrich

Default Re: Error when trying to create MSI

Fred,

I would not go back to .MSI for a million bucks SetupBuilder is the best thing since sliced bread.

Mitchel

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information